Accessory Dwelling Unit (Mother-in-Law Apartment)

What is it?

An accessory dwelling unit or detached accessory dwelling unit (sometimes called a mother-in-law apartment) is a separate living space within a house or on the same property as an existing house. These units aren’t legal unless they have been established through a permit process. A legally permitted unit in the home or on the property (but not within the home) is called an accessory dwelling unit (ADU). The property owner must live in either the house or the attached or detached accessory dwelling unit.

         flag_icon Ruston Municipal Code  (RMC) 25.01.040 RES zone code

What Permits Do You Need?

Conditional Use Permit (CUP):

If your ADU has not been legally permitted, you will need to start with a Conditional Use Permit application. The Conditional Use permit application is reviewed under the Title 19 Land Use permit process.  This means that your application is regulated with strict timelines for review, response and action. After planning staff has reviewed and provided a staff report on the application, it will be set for a hearing with the City of Ruston's Hearing Examiner. This process takes about 3-6 months depending on the application submittal, review status and the Hearing Examiner calendar. Contact the planning department with any questions regarding the review and hearing examiner process on Conditional Use Permits.

Adding Within an Existing House:

You need to submit construction plans along with a Building Permit application

Building a Detached Unit:

You need to submit an accurate Site Plan and construction plans along with a building permit application. see site plan requirements described under RMC 25.01.140(d)(2) here.

Legalizing an existing Unit:

You need to establish use under the Conditional Use permit application process. (see above)

Upcoming CUP Hearings

No events could be found.

Close window