Working in Ruston

Let Us Help You Succeed

Find permits, licenses, requirements and guidelines you need to help you start, manage and grow your business in the City of Ruston

Business FAQ

There a few residential building permits that can generally be issued same day, or over the counter. These over the counter (OTC) type permits apply to residential projects only for plumbing, mechanical, re-roofing and re-siding permits. Visit the building departments permit resource page for more information on the types of projects that require a permit and how to submit an application for an OTC permit.

A special event permit is issue for a variety of events which require a permit to operate in the City of Ruston. The list below are a few examples of events that will require a special event permit:

  • Farmer’s markets
  • Races/Marathons
  • Parades
  • Outdoor concerts

View the complete  application for more information on Special Event Permits. Some events may require additional permits and licenses, please contact the permit coordinator for more information (253) 759-3544 ext 4.

The City of Ruston’s parks and facilities can be reserved for a variety of uses. Our Parks and Facilities page has information on the forms and approved uses of each facility. Contact the City Clerk when you are ready to submi ta the request form and to provide the deposit fee.

  • Altered: $10
    • Senior owner rate: $5
  • Unaltered: $30
    • Senior owner rate: $15

*Proof that the owner is 62 years of age or older or disabled is required.

**Proof that the pet is altered is required.

All Building permit applications must be submitted with a completed application form and any accompanying plans. Visit the building department page for more information.

Tacoma License and Title allows online renewals for vehicle registrations. Visit their website here  or contact their office directly at (253) 212-1954 for questions about Vehicle Registrations.

The City of Ruston requires all cats and dogs to be licensed annually by March 31st of each year. You may license your pet in person at City Hall or send an application by mail to 5117 N Winnifred Street Ruston, WA 98407.

A liquor license is an endorsement on your Business License issued by the Washington State Department of Revenue (DOR) Business Licensing Service. You must complete the Business License Application even if you already have a Business License, along with a Liquor and Cannabis Board Addendum. Visit the website for the application here

The City of Ruston requires all businesses conducting business in the city limits obtain a business licence. We has enrolled into the Washington State Department of Revenue’s Business Licensing Services (BLS). To apply for  a business license of renew your license,  contact the Department of Revenue (DOR)  by visiting their website and completing a City Business License Addendum. All business license applications for both new businesses and annual renewal must be submitted directly to the DOR.

Tacoma License and Title allows online renewals. Visit their website or contact their office directly at (253) 212-1954

Close window